Since being admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor in 2004, Richard has acted for many clients, including:
- recruitment companies
- local governments
- strata companies
- mining clients and
- defendants in criminal matters.
Richard has acted as counsel at:
- civil and criminal trials at the Magistrates Court
- mediations and pre-trial conferences at the Supreme, District and Magistrates Court and SAT
- many pleas of mitigation at the District and Magistrates Court
- many interlocutory applications at the Supreme, District and Magistrates Court.
He was previously involved in local government. He was a Councillor at the City of Cockburn between 2000 and 2008, Deputy Mayor of the City of Cockburn between 2000 and 2007, a board member of the Western Australian Local Government Association between 2003 and 2008 and a member of various committees at the Western Australian Planning Commission during his time as a councillor.
Richard was also previously President of the Business Leaders association, and a board member of the Melville-Cockburn Chamber of Commerce.
Richard has provided pro bono legal services at the Citizens Advice Bureau, Sussex Street Community Legal Centre and been a pro bono prosecutor with the RSPCA. This work included being President of the Citizens Advice Bureau of Western Australia during 2013-2014.